Nyenswah Advises Nimbaians

first_imgDeputy Minister of Health and Head of Ebola Incidence Management Team, Tolbert Nyenswah, has called on residents of Nimba County to remain vigilant despite the remarkable gains Liberia has made, leading to our being declared Ebola-transmission-free.He gave the admonition at program that marked the celebration of Ebola-Free Nimba, held in Sanniquellie on June 24.Being vigilant required putting into practice all the preventive measures, including continuous hand washing and reporting sick person to medical practitioners, among others.“Remaining vigilant means you should put all the preventive measures into practice, which involves not touching a dead body, reporting all sick persons to the clinic and continued hand washing all of the time,” he said.“You need buckets to wash your hands at your business places and in your homes because your neighboring countries are still fighting the deadly disease,” he added.He urged Liberians not to panic because of Ebola in neighboring Guinea and Sierra Leone as all mechanisms were being put into place in Liberia to curb Ebola at any time.“Don’t be afraid, because Ebola is still in Guinea and Sierra Leone; for our doctors at the borders with these countries are on the alert. This is why we have ensured that most of our ETUs at the borderlines have remained open, so as to combat Ebola at anytime,” he added.The Nimba County Ebola Task Force, as parts of activities observing the end of Ebola, certificated over 85 institutions and over 300 individuals for their roles in combating Ebola during the time Liberia was under attack by the deadly virus last year and earlier this year.The Ebola end celebration was “very symbolic, because the Nimba County Task Force on the first day of the celebration on Wednesday, June 23, unveiled a monument in memorial to those who lost their lives and those who contributed immensely to the fight.The program began with a parade through the principal streets of Sanniquellie on June 24, followed by an indoor program, which was climaxed by sporting activities between the Nimba County Health Team and Partners and the NGOs operating in the county.Also, the head of the Nimba County Health Team, Dr. Collins Saar Bowah, urged Nimbaians to remain vigilant saying, “It is not yet over, until it is over, because our sister countries are still being afflicted and our hearts are still beating for them.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

City Council boosts cash for tenants

first_imgBut housing advocates and other council members pushed for a shorter tenancy period and a faster implementation, so more renters served with eviction notices could qualify for the higher rate immediately. On Wednesday, Councilman Herb Wesson agreed to lower the tenancy requirement so renters who live in their units three years or more will receive the higher fees. “What I am asking is that we approve this unanimously so the minute we do that there will be almost double the relocation benefits for almost every tenant in Los Angeles,” Wesson said. Under the new program, low-income tenants and those who lived in a unit at least three years would receive the highest fees: $9,040 for most tenants and $17,080 for qualified tenants, including the disabled, elderly and parents of young children. Tenants who have lived in the unit for less than three years would receive $6,810, with qualified tenants receiving $14,850. The two-tier system was requested by some landlords and developers who wanted to cut some of the relocation expense while providing maximum assistance to the most vulnerable tenants. However, some council members and the president of the Planning Commission worry the two-tier system will create another layer of government bureaucracy and make some landlords reluctant to rent to low-income tenants who would receive hefty relocation packages. They wanted all tenants to get the higher figures, regardless of income and length of tenancy. Planning Commission President Jane Usher, who was appointed by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, said her panel found it would be cheaper and easier to pay all tenants the same amount. “We simply wanted to get the money into the hands of people who are going to be relocated and we wanted it to be done with as few questions and as quickly as possible so that they could move on with their lives,” Usher told the council Wednesday. To ease some concerns, the two-tier system will end in July 2008 and offer the higher fees to all evicted tenants unless the City Council renews it. The new program was passed unanimously, and the mayor is expected to sign off on it. kerry.cavanaugh@dailynews.com (213) 978-0390160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! To ease the pain of being evicted from apartments being converted to condos, the Los Angeles City Council finalized a new tenant relocation program Wednesday that will double the amount of money ousted tenants now receive and help them find new units. It is the first major increase in relocation assistance since 2004 and comes after more than 12,000 rent-controlled units have been demolished or converted to condos in the past five years. The trend has raised concerns about the loss of affordable housing and the challenge evicted tenants have in finding comparable housing in a tight rental market. Last week, the council tentatively approved a two-tier system that requires those evicting tenants to pay higher relocation fees for low-income tenants and those who have lived in the building for more than five years. last_img read more

NOMINATIONS SOUGHT FOR DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS

first_imgThe Donegal Sports Star Committee is now seeking nominations for the 37th awards ceremony which takes in the Mount Errigal Hotel on Friday, January 25th.Nominations must be submitted by the deadline date of Friday, November 23rd and can be done online from the nominations page and emailed to info@donegalsportsstarawards.ie or by completing a simple nomination form which can downloaded and posted to Paul McDaid, Post Office, Ramelton.Please note that the Hall of Fame winner has already been selected by the adjudicating committee so no nominations are required in this category. For further details visit www.donegalsportsstarawards.ie  NOMINATIONS SOUGHT FOR DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDS was last modified: November 11th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DONEGAL SPORTS STAR AWARDSNOMINATIONSlast_img read more

PIL against two of Lalu’s Minister sons

first_imgA Public Interest Litigation (PIL) petition was filed in the Patna High Court on Thursday against two Minister sons of RJD chief Lalu Prasad Yadav, allegedly for concealing details of their assets in affidavits submitted to the Election Commission during the 2015 Assembly elections. The petitioner sought annulment of the election of State deputy Chief Minister Tejaswi Yadav and Health Minister Tej Pratap Yadav.“Both the Ministers did not disclose their assets in poll affidavits filed to the Election Commission in 2015…I have requested the court to declare their election as null and void,” the petitioner Manibhushan Pratap Sengar told journalists in Patna. The petitioner has also sought a CBI inquiry into the matter.On Thursday, Mr. Modi wrote a letter to Chief Minister Nitish Kumar urging him to sack Tej Pratap Yadav and file a First Information Report (FIR) against him for concealing asset details in his poll affidavit.last_img read more

Nargis raps Neetu over bikini shoot

first_imgNargis, who was last seen in the Akshay Kumar and John Abraham-starrer Garam Masala, says she would never wear something that makes her family uncomfortable.Taking a dig at her Garam Masala co-star Neetu Chandra ” who was recently in news for a hot bikini shoot ” Nargis says sporting a bikini is out of question for her.The actress goes on to say she has, in fact, missed out on “a whole lot of films” because she refused to do things which were ethically unacceptable to her.Is that the reason she has done a single film ” Pranali ” since her debut three years ago in Garam Masala? Talking about her career, Nargis says her third film, Morning Walk, is scheduled for release on July 10.The actress, however, says she is happy about the fact that Neetu went on to become a better known face and also tried the bikini.”I am really happy for her. She is a great person and actor and we have been good friends,” she says. “( But) the bikini is out of limits for me. I even refused to wear a bikini in Morning Walk , though the director had asked me to,” she adds.Courtesy: Mail Todaylast_img read more